Thanksgiving is a time for feasting on tried and true comfort foods. This one came to mind today. I didn’t make it often but it was always a hit when I did.
Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 large egg white
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 (4 ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine condensed milk, almond extract, vanilla extract, salt, and egg white in a bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add about 2 1/3 cups shredded coconut. Mix with a spatula until mixture is sticky and holds together. Form into balls using a sorbet scoop.
- Roll balls in remaining coconut. Space macaroons evenly onto a silicone-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 3/4 of the chocolate in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the chocolate until it melts.
- Dip the base of each cooled macaroon about 1/8 inch into the chocolate. Place cookies, chocolate-side down, on parchment paper. Let chocolate harden completely.
My latest book, Joshua’s Journey: One Boy’s Victory Over Allergies is available here on Amazon.com. All my books are available in Kindle and paperback. The Miracle Books are also available in audible.